Monday, September 3, 2012

Welcome to My World-assignment 1

Megan
The Christian in the World- Period 6
09/04/2012

Welcome to My World
My name is Megan, and I am a senior in High School. I have attended catholic school for the past 12 years, and so naturally my faith has played a major role in my life. I feel as though I am a diverse student, both in the academic view, among other things. I am a varsity soccer player, and this year I was voted captain of the team. Soccer is a very important part of my life. It has allowed me to express myself in a positive manor, and I have become a part of the soccer family at my school. I am a part of the National Honors Society, and National English Honors Society. I have also participated in three of the bands at Bishop McNamara, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and this year I got into Wind Ensemble, one of the top band in the state. The musical part of me has been my undercover trait for my entire high school career, but it is one of the most important families I belong to. Being a part of my high school has shaped me into the person I want to be when I grow older. 
One of the most valuable things in my life is my friends. I have been through a lot of hard things during my high school career, and I have come to realize I picked a great group of friends who have stood by me through everything. Sometimes when my family could not be my crutch, I looked to my friends for support and love, and for this reason, they are most valuable to me.
I was born and raised in the catholic church, but I have found myself drifting away from God as I grow older. When I was younger I was told I had to go to church, so I did. Now that I am older and I am given the choice to go to mass each week, I find myself finding excuses to go late, and leave early. It was not until recently, when I was placed in the Peer Ministry program at my school that I realized the importance of God. I found a new love for going to mass, I pay attention more, and I try my best to be a good role model for my younger cousins and underclassman. However, I still see myself as the "cookie cutter Catholic." I don't pray from my heart, I say the prayers that were inscribed in my brain as a small child. I go to church every week, and I go to confession two times a year. I pray the rosary, and memorized the new mass text within the first two months, while most of my friends and family still have to pull out the cardboard pamphlet with the words highlighted at my church. When I talk to other people about their prayer life with God, they always say they speak from the heart and soul, especially when times get hard. When I find myself in a rough patch, or I am going through a hard time at school or my family, the last person I think about talking to is God, which is a really bad thing, and I know that. I am setting goals for myself to get closer with God. And for the first time, I am not saying it just to say it; I am putting my thoughts into action. I want to find my relationship with God again.
I am Irish and German, but most people can tell that right away by my last name, and the fact that I blush... all the time. Being Irish use to be the coolest thing ever to me. I use to brag all the time, saying "Oh yeah, well I'm 56% Irish... beat that!" Now it is nothing more then my last name to me. I guess as I got older, I found more important thing to brag about, like soccer and band and school.
I do not exactly know what I hope for in life at this point. I would love to say I know exactly where I am going, and where I want to be, but if I am going to be honest about it, I do not. I know I want to be a Marine Biologist. I know I want to college, I know I want to make myself happy with these things, but if I learned anything from my religion class last year, it is the four truths of the I, "I did not make myself, I can not make myself happy, My abilities are limited, but my desires are limitless." I guess I just want to do something with my life. Whatever it is, I will take it full force.

No comments:

Post a Comment